Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tu Eres Hippie.

I remember when I first got pregnant. I usually like to say knocked up, but I guess that implies unplanned and MJ was definitely planned. Annoying as it may be that, uh, well-meaning ladies who lunch and do things in "ORDER" tend to ask if she was. Seriously, I have had this happen. We are in our mid 30's, let's start there...

As my girl Issa over at  Akward Black Girl writes, bitches be trippin.

Anyfool,while I was pregnant I watched, "Away We Go." I watched it for several reasons and definitely several times, even once with my partner who "didn't cry." I swear. And in that movie Maya Rudolph's awesome character and her boyfriend who's that quirky cute guy from, "The Office" made fun of Maggie Gyllenhaal's typical liberal professor character: The Rich Hippie. You see why this movie lured me in on every level even though it was out of my typical range of films: action, anime, and comedy.

However, I...no we joined in the mockery of Professor VonToddler Breastfeed. We eschewed anyone who wouldn't use a stroller and MY GOD: the family bed? Shudder.

Fast forward and MJ is 20 months. She is rarely in a stroller. We wear her and mind you I had NO IDEA you could wear a person previously. Further she's still on the boob and yep, we have a family bed. Of course not nearly as gross as it was presented in the film. Oh, our poor poor couch... and cat who hangs out on the end of it no matter what's going on! Sigh. Pobre gato.

So yeah, I am a mixed girl with kinky curls who totally lives in the mountains. I am not rich, though we certainly aren't poor nor do we pretend to be. Worst hippie attribute yet: those who pretend to be poor. Have I mentioned I don't teach? But I do work at Uni. SHITE.

I know for a fact that anyone reading this would be like, "Are you surprised, lady? That's obviously who you are, hippie. Get in touch with yourself.

But really, I come from a major, dirty, and aggressive city. I eat and breathe hip hop some days. I admit to a penchant for The Carolina Chocolate Drops and Ryan Adams on others, but NEVER blue grass. Never the Dead. AND FOR THE LOVE OF NOT GETTING A MIGRAINE: NEVER PHISH!!! I love product and bathing. Not that I am stereotyping or anything. Ha! But how did this happen?!

I will tell you how. I love my daughter. This is what it turns out she needed and what I needed. And that's ok. For now.

But if you judge me, I will knock a ho out in a non-violent wordy kinda way. Plain and simple.

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy canning our home grown food? Suppose I can cover that topic another day.

But seriously: I am not a hippie.

No comments:

Post a Comment